Our Sharp LC-37HV4U

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
Carlene & Jim
Our Sharp LC-37HV4U

Please help ASAP! We own a Sharp LC-37HV4U television (made in August of 2003) and recently we were watching the TV went to bed woke up the next morning & turned on the tv & had no picture just a red light flashing on the power button. We called for service & Sharp referred us to an Electronic service rep in our Naperville, Il area. They replaced the power pad & main pad ($763.60, WOW!). we brought the tv home it worked that night but again the next morning it did the exact same thing as before tv off tv on no picture just a red lamp light, we brought it back again to be serviced and now " they think " it could be the lamps x 4 x $100. each,  Ouch! What is a consumer to do? We are in need of  an experts opinion. Thank you for any help! Carlene & Jim

Carlene & Jim
Carlene & Jim said: Please

Carlene & Jim said: Please help ASAP! We own a Sharp LC-37HV4U television (made in August of 2003) and recently we were watching the TV went to bed woke up the next morning & turned on the tv & had no picture just a red light flashing on the power button. We called for service & Sharp referred us to an Electronic service rep in our Naperville, Il area. They replaced the power pad & main pad ($763.60, WOW!). we brought the tv home it worked that night but again the next morning it did the exact same thing as before tv off tv on no picture just a red lamp light, we brought it back again to be serviced and now " they think " it could be the lamps x 4 x $100. each,  Ouch! What is a consumer to do? We are in need of  an experts opinion. Thank you for any help! Carlene & Jim

Larry Dillon
If that is the same problem,

If that is the same problem, I would call up sharp and tell them your story, this sounds kinda fishy to me.  Good Luck and let us know what sharp as to say about this fish tale! 

Carlene & Jim
Larry,

Larry,

Thanks for your comment , I had corresponded with Sharp twice  before about my dilemma & they could not help me out since my warranty expired, but today I again  contacted Sharp  after your thoughts and am sure that they won't help & do not care about their consumers after the warranty expires. Sad but true.

Carlene & Jim

MOtvGuy
I wouldn't spend another dime

I wouldn't spend another dime with those guys.  It sounds like your inverter is shutting off.  That's the PC board that actually powers the lamps.  I seriously doubt any of your lamps are bad.  Try finding another servicer to take it to.

Carlene & Jim
Thanks for your thoughts, It

Thanks for your thoughts, It was not lamps as I thought they mentioned , but it was the inverters x 4. Sorry about this error.Cry

Latest is Sharp wants to hear from us again.

MOtvGuy
I'd say, considering the

I'd say, considering the Sharp refered servicer just shotgunned your set to the tune of $763 and their parts didn't fix the set that maybe Sharp needs to consider sending the inverter board to the servicer, FOR FREE, and have them install it in your unit, FOR FREE. 

sava
Hi Carlene & Jim,

Hi Carlene & Jim,

I'm having the same problem with my Sharp 37HV4U LCD and was wondering if you have any of the part numbers that fixed your set. The repair shop is telling me I need the PC power board.

Thanks,

Vincent

llltsx
Carlene, Jim & Vincent,

Carlene, Jim & Vincent,

From what you have been describing I believe I now have the same problem. Can you tell me how your problem was resolved? Was the problem the

Larry Dillon
I'm sorry to say but yea WOW!

I'm sorry to say but yea WOW!!! I looked up the inverters for those model in this series and wow!!! check out this link http://www.partstore.com/PartSearch.aspx?PartNumber=inverter&x=32&y=17
it says the sharp is no longer avaialable?, man that really blows````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

sava
I had the same problem with

I had the same problem with my lc-37hv4u and i changed the following board: Sharp Main Board KB453DE XB453WJ. If your a little handy you can do it yourself and save $150.00 bucks. The only problem is trying to find a new board, which will cost about $300.00 or if you can search the net and find a used one for much less, but make sure they are willing to take it back if it doesn't work. good luck. You can try the following website: http://www.discount-merchant.com
and enter the model number to the TV. Unlike Carlene & Jim I only had to change one board.

Larry Dillon
contaxt ptscorp.com and see

contaxt ptscorp.com and see if they will rebuild your board or they might have an exchange board for you.

llltsx
I really appreciate everyone

I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. My TV is 4 1/2 yrs old and at the time I purchased it I also purchased a 5 yr extended warranty for in-home service. I probably won't see anyone until sometime next week due to the holiday but when I called the warranty center I asked the rep. what would happen if they found the part(s) were no longer avail. I was told they would either buy back the TV or get me a new one. We'll see what happens.

Thank you again, I really appreciate all the input.

Larry Dillon
good thing form you smart buy

good thing form you smart buy the extended warrantee, why were you even concidering fixing it yourself??

llltsx
Larry,

Larry,

I'm not considering fixing it myself but the problem occurred around 7pm and I didn't think I would have any luck speaking to a repair person on the phone or get anyone from the warranty center so I went online to see if there was any info. that was similar to the problem I was having. I ran into this line of discussion which has been helpful. I'm hoping that if I am prepared with info. before I see the repair people I won't be taken for a "ride" before my TV problem is resolved.

sava

I had the same problem with my lc-37hv4u and i changed the following board: Sharp Main Board KB453DE XB453WJ. If your a little handy you can do it yourself and save $150.00 bucks. The only problem is trying to find a new board, which will cost about $300.00 or if you can search the net and find a used one for much less, but make sure they are willing to take it back if it doesn't work. good luck. You can try the following website: http://www.discount-merchant.com
and enter the model number to the TV. Unlike Carlene & Jim I only had to change one board.

Larry Dillon
contaxt ptscorp.com and see

contaxt ptscorp.com and see if they will rebuild your board or they might have an exchange board for you.

llltsx
I really appreciate everyone

I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. My TV is 4 1/2 yrs old and at the time I purchased it I also purchased a 5 yr extended warranty for in-home service. I probably won't see anyone until sometime next week due to the holiday but when I called the warranty center I asked the rep. what would happen if they found the part(s) were no longer avail. I was told they would either buy back the TV or get me a new one. We'll see what happens.

Thank you again, I really appreciate all the input.

Larry Dillon
good thing form you smart buy

good thing form you smart buy the extended warrantee, why were you even concidering fixing it yourself??

llltsx
Larry,

Larry,

I'm not considering fixing it myself but the problem occurred around 7pm and I didn't think I would have any luck speaking to a repair person on the phone or get anyone from the warranty center so I went online to see if there was any info. that was similar to the problem I was having. I ran into this line of discussion which has been helpful. I'm hoping that if I am prepared with info. before I see the repair people I won't be taken for a "ride" before my TV problem is resolved.

floralaw
I am having same problem with

I am having same problem with my sharp 37hv4u - cut out in December 08. Sharp reps wanted $700 to fix. Would like to fix myself but need help finding parts and identifying what parts I need. Sharp rep said I needed to replace main board but is that true or is it inverters? Any advice is appreciated.

Carlene & Jim
We would never buy a Sharp

We would never buy a Sharp product again, since this problem still exists. We had our TV repaired several years ago, and we are still scratching our heads about this question, no one ever knew and obviously they @ Sharp still don't know the answer to this Question. We were told to replace the main board first and still no picture and then the inverters (More $$$$$$) before we kept a picture, but no one ever has ever said inverters first then main board, if it can be done then I would try it first. Good Luck! WE would be interested to hear if it works.

llltsx
Well my problem still isn't

Well my problem still isn't resolved. Fortunately I purchased the extended service warranty. My TV was picked up by the repair co. that was dispatched by the warranty service on 1-7-09. They returned it to me 1-21-09.....it worked that evening, approx. 3 hrs and when we turned the TV on, or tried to turn it on the next morning, we had the original problem again. The repair service told me they had repaired the main board. More accurately stated, I was told that the main board was removed and sent to the manufacturer for repair. I assume Sharp tries to rebuild the main board. Anyway, I contacted the warranty service and then called the repair company again. They picked the TV up on 1-22-09 and by 3-5-09 I had not heard a word from the service personnel. I spoke to the warranty service, they contacted the repair people and didn't get a satisfactory response as to whether it could be repaired....they had sent the main board to Sharp again but this time it didn't seem to work. I was told by warranty center that the TV would be returned to me and that a new repair service would be dispatched. (for whatever reason the original repair service was reluctant to tell the warranty center that the TV could not be repaired....there was a bit of a language barrier). So, I waited for the new repair service to contact me and had to call the warranty center 3 more times before I received a call from the repair service. The TV was picked up again on 3-17-09 which is when I discovered that the original repair service had not returned the dual cable that goes between the AV box and the TV so I had to go to the original repair service, get the cable and take it to the new repair service. That was on 3-18-09. So far I haven't heard from the new repair service....they said it would be a couple of days for the diagnostic process. I'll probably call them sometime today to see if there is any word. You may be wondering what we're doing for a TV in the meantime....we have borrowed a TV from the son of a friend. He's overseas and had a 40" Sony XBR sitting in his place. I'm going to hate to give it back, the picture is amazing compared to my almost 5 yr. old Sharp. Of course the Sharp may never work again and I'll be able to buy a Sony for myself. I will never buy another Sharp TV. FYI...the new repair service said they think the Sony is a superior product and I did a little shopping around and was told by a vendor I respect that they recommend the products by the "3 Ss"....Sony, Samsung & Sharp. Well Sharp is off the list for me. I know that the monitors for Sony & Samsung are the same. Then it comes down to all the bells and whistles and electonic enhancements that each company puts into their product and pricing respectively. I know this answer had gone on and on but thanks for letting me "vent". For this type of product, I will always buy an extended service warranty.

Larry Dillon
at last resort CALL SHARP!!

at last resort CALL SHARP!! you might get a new TV set?

llltsx
OK, finally a resolution.

OK, finally a resolution. After 60+ days with the second repair service without results, (they diagnosed the problem as being the main board and were not able to find a replacement, the same problem the 1st repair service found), my problem has been resolved. I was offered a choice of 3 different LCD TVs to replace my "unfixable" Sharp. 2 were also Sharp TVs, the other a Panasonic. Really none of the 3 offered would really compare to the Sony XBR I had borrowed so I opted for the cash buy out and was told it would be 2-4wks before I received a check. Guess what, one week later and I've received the check and it was more than I thought I would get based on the lowest prices I was able to find for the 3 products the warranty offered as replacements. So it took way longer than it should have but the problem has been resolved. Based on this experience I recommend extended warranties for electronics at least the more pricey ones.

sava
llltex,

llltex,

Where are you located? Would you like to sell the tv to me? My tv fell and I need a screen because it cracked. I live in NJ. Let me know if your interested. You can email me at [email protected]

thornwoodmom
Hi,

Hi,

After reading all the comments from all of you who have had problems with your Sharp LC-37HV4U, I am thinking maybe ours is toast too. We purchased it in Jan 2004 and had the 5 year warranty which we used in the 2nd year, a new main board. When the contract expired we received an offer to extend which we decided not to get as it was working great and rather costly. Well, not as costly as getting another main board replaced, as it turns out. Sadly, May 29th 2009 our tv decided to not turn on again. The repairs being on us, Sharp gave us the name of the nearest local Sharp repair. They first ordered a power supply to try and it wasn't the problem, so they returned that and sent in our main board for replacement. So on May 7th, after $493.00 was paid, we took the tv home. It has worked perfectly for 1 month and yesterday the same problem was back. We do have a 90 day warranty if the problem is the main board, but if not, we go from there. After reading of everyone's experiences, I am wondering how your situations were resolved. We can't justify putting more money into this tv, even though we totally enjoy it. (when it works!) If fact, I wish we could just return the "defective" main board back to sharp and cut our losses. Thanks for listening, and if anyone gets a minute I sure would appreciate your updates.

floralaw
as far as an update, ours is

as far as an update, ours is sitting in the garage, dead since Dec 08. We bought a Samsung for $800 (with a 2 yr warranty) to replace it instead of spending $600 to replace the main board, which was the quote we received. I didn't want to take the risk on banking on just the 90 day warranty to make sure it was right. I was hoping I would happen to find another operating one with a broken screen that I could swap out parts with, but hasn't happened yet. It was a great tv when it worked, but so not worth the money (it was almost $5k at the time) considering it only lasted 4 years. I did take it out in May to fiddle with it, and got it working for about 1 day but then the same thing started again.

Larry Dillon
Why don't you sell it on

Why don't you sell it on Gregg's list there are lots of people selling tv sets as is even if it is 50 bucks better than letting it rot in the garage right!!!!
Larry Dillon

gugu
Hi I've read everything on

Hi I've read everything on this post and many more other threads and I am confused a bit so please help; Have the same issue - sharp 37hv4u with blinking red light. Does anyone know which part exactly do I need to change in order for this lcd to work? Some say - main video board, some say inverter x 4 and I also read someone mentioned power board might cause it. Does anyone know for sure?
Please let me know!
Thanks.

sava

I had the same problem with my lc-37hv4u and i changed the following board: Sharp Main Board KB453DE XB453WJ. I had changed the inverters, but that didn't solve my problem.

Pages

Connect With Techlore