Hitachi 50V500 red

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
CZ
Hitachi 50V500 red

I thought the glowing red screen in my Hitachi 50V500A was an isolated problem and since I didn't buy the extended warranty, thought I'd write it off as a bad experience.  But now, after reading so many with similar problems, I've realized this is not an isolated problem.  Hitachi has a responsibility to its consumers to deal with this.  I never would have guessed that my 18 year old Sony tube TV would out last my 2 1/4 year LCD that I paid 5 times more for.  Any new results with Hitachi on this one?

Larry Dillon
Contact Hitachi and tell them

Contact Hitachi and tell them you know that this is a problem.  They will try to tell you they are not aware of the problem but keep asking to talk to someone else.  I have heard many many folks who got thier Hitachi TV  fixed by doing this.  The problem is a bad light engine.  It happens to almost all of this model type of set.  Most likely they will finally give in and send a free light engine to your local Hitachi repair depot and you will have to pay only for the lablr charge.  Most of the TV's that i know where fixed this way had a repair bill of around 200 bucks or so.  Good Luck, and keep us informed about this repair.

Dr_C
As of this morning, I have

As of this morning, I have the same issue with my 50v500.

This is not the first issue that I have had with Hitachi and this set. This is actually my 3rd (yes -t-h-i-r-d 50v500) in just under 3 years.

I actually had my first two covered by an extended warrenty that was "thrown in" by the sales rep @ REX at the time of purchase.

In each of the first two sets, I had what they determined to be defective ballists(?). I was told that it was a regulation unit for the power to the light engine and lamp.

Anyhow, I awoke this morning and powered up the set and to my suprise, everything was pink.

I am going to contact Hitachi and pester the heck out of them until they own up and replace the light engine.

Also, I wanted to ask, what 50" or larger LCDs would everyone recommend?

Price is not an issue however I must fit the unit into a space no larger than 56.5" wide and 37" high. 

I am going to replace this the 50v500. It is in my gym and I am going to move it to my son's playroom once it is repaired.

Thanks for the insights and best of luck to anyone who has a 50v500 hunk of junk!!!

Larry Dillon
If you really what an LCD go

If you really what an LCD go for the Sony I think.  If you want a plasma go for the pioneer.

CZ
Thanks for the feedback, I'll

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep you posted.

AllenR
As a result of the "red bloom

As a result of the "red bloom" problem on my $2500 Hitachi 50V500 and Hitachi's refusal to correct the problem I will never but another Hitachi product or allow any of my family and friends to buy from them either.
Hitachi does NOT stand behind their products when a serious design deficiency develops. SAtay away from Hitachi products!

Connect With Techlore