free1965tv
Larry Dillon said:

Larry Dillon said:
I need to see the schematic or diagram.

I can email it. My email [email protected]

Zia
Dear Larry Dillon,

Dear Larry Dillon,

I have sent you email attached therewith 3 photos showing schematic diagram of STK392-560 connections. Please check and advise where the fault should be. The problem is 100% same as of "free1965tv". Further, when I switch on the TV first time, the standby light blinks 6 times. If I switch off and on again, that light blinks 4 times. Anyway, the TV works normally except the picture which is curved on top and bottom and all images shows 3 color shades. You remember that on your advice, I replaced both ICs - STK392-560 but the fault remained the same.

Zia

Jeff B
Hi, I have a 5 and half year

Hi, I have a 5 and half year old Sony Kp-53v85 (rear projection) over the last year the picture is turning black and whit from time to time. (now most of the time. I had some one come out who looked at the TV and said it was the cable box. I had the cable company come out replaced the box two times and I still have the same problem. It is out of warranty. Any Ideas?

Larry Dillon
Jeff B, your problem sounds

Jeff B, your problem sounds like a bad tuner my freind. I have seen this problem in these models several times in the past. Best thing to try first, would be connect your cable box through the video input and audio inputs of the TV set. If it still happens where the TV turn to Black and White out of the blue, connect up another set at the same location this set is at, to make sure the fault is with the TV set. If you do connect up the TV set with the video input and it still turns Black and white and another set does not, Im afraid you have whats called a color oscilator or color burst problem, and these are problems that only a trained tech with the proper equipment can repair. I'm pretty sure though you have a bad tuner, and connecting the set through the audio and video will correct your problem. Good luck, and please let us know how you made out with this set.

Jeff B
Hi, I tried disconnecting the

Hi, I tried disconnecting the cable box and going straight from the cable connection to the TV. So far it is working. Is it possible it is the cable box? Is there a different kind of box that would work? I have time warner. I would like to take advantage of the features of using the cable box.

Larry Dillon
Jeff, try to connect another

Jeff, try to connect another TV set to that cable box, in that same location. If the RF works on another TV then The cable box is good and the tuner on the TV set is bad.

dans_repair_service
The Sony Kp-53V85 actually

The Sony Kp-53V85 actually has 2 tuners.  I'm not sure which one is the main, so I have listed the part numbers for both below:

TU151 - Sony # 8-598-431-00 (original)

replaced by Sony # 8-598-431-50  List price is $120.32 (USA)

TU152 - Sony # 8-598-430-00 (original)  list price $47.38 (USA)

Hope this helps,

Larry Dillon
Each tuner can also be

Each tuner can also be rebuilt by PTScorp for about $49.95 apeice + shipping.

free1965tv
Hi all

Hi all

Just want to let you know. My convergence problem is fixed. Thanks to Larry the man. Two components, the convergence ICs and the pico fuse on the G board.

Larry Dillon
Thank you so much free1965tv.

Thank you so much free1965tv. Glad you were able to handle this repair.

Jeff B
Hi, I had the cable company

Hi, I had the cable company come out (Time Warner) and give me another cable box. This time they gave me a new box instead of a refurbished one. It has been a week now and I have not had any problems.

Greystone
Larry,

Larry,

Problem child:  Sony KV-32XBR400.  Ten years old.  Inputs are Time Warner Cable Digital DVR recorder through composite plugs and a DVD player on Video 3.  Just recently the screen started clicking off into standby mode.  Happens during cable movies, DVD movies, and (this is the really weird part) during playback of a network TV show JUST AS THE SHOW IS ABOUT TO BREAK FOR A COMMERCIAL!!!  To make matters even more confusing, after turning the set back on and backing up the DVR to just prior to the blackout, it doesn't happen.  We sit there until the next commercial and CLICK, off it goes again.  GRRRR.

I've tried a number of troubleshooting steps-- isolating the input devices, switching Video input plugs and destinations-- all to no avail.  Oddly, if I have Time Warner's New Age music channel selected, it sits there for hours with no symptom.  Perhaps it is trying to tell me to knock off the Classic Rock?

I am your humble servant for suggestions.  My wife accuses me of setting up the perfect scenario for getting a new 46" LCD.  Heh, heh, I wish I was so clever.  If it means taking it into a TV shop for repair, think I'll pass.  If it is a fairly simple board replacement, I can do it with local genius friends.

Larry Dillon
You may have a screen drive

You may have a screen drive problem.  As it seems everytime a scene makes a major change it shuts off.  One try you can do is to adjust the screen level.  If not, you may have a picture tube issue. Good Luck

Greystone
Thanks for the quick comeback

Thanks for the quick comeback.  I actually tried adjusting all the items in the menu downward:  Picture; brightness; VM to Medium, DRC-MF to Progressive vs Interlaced.  Nothing changed.  I am suspicous that, as you note, every time the scene seems to make a major change the tube has a noticible click and hiss and just shuts down into standby.  I don't know enough about CRT's to understand why this would be an issue, nor if their is an easy "driver" or other simple replacement part to fix the CRT.  Would appreciate a link to some education on this if you happen to have one on the tip of your neurons.

In the meantime, this thing is WAY too big and heavy for a doorstop-- I can't even lift it by myself.  So aside from the obvious trip to the landfill, can you suggest a politically correct home for a big heavy box with a bad CRT?  Think I'll check eBay for the 46" LCD.

Larry Dillon
Also the low voltage

Also the low voltage regulator may be letting the voltage rise excessively. Then, a dark picture or video muting during a channel change triggers the X-ray or power supply overvoltage protection.  Monitor the output of the low voltage power supply B+ to see if it is stable as the brightness/scene changes.

Nita
I have a Sony KP-57WS510 the

I have a Sony KP-57WS510 the power light comes on but I have no picture or sound.  I had took it to a repair shop here in Big Rapids, MI and they said that I have a shorted CRT and the only way they can fix it is to get it rebuild. They claim that Sony doesn't have or support that part, and that they don't know how long the remainder CRT will last.  I need to fix my television it cost me alot of money and I can't let it just sit there and collect dust.  I need to know where can I get the parts and how much will it cost?

dans_repair_service
I did a little research on

I did a little research on this model and found that the CRT modules are no longer available, but... Let's start at the beginning. What was the original problem? When you attempt to turn on the set, is there anything that happens? Does the standby light blink? How many times? Dan

Nita
Hi Dan, the original problem

Hi Dan, the original problem happened when my family was watching tv, the whole screen turned white and that was the end of it. When we attempt to turn on the set it made two clicking sounds, the power light comes on but continues to blink.

JF
Hi a friend of mine gave me

Hi a friend of mine gave me his old sony tv because he didn't want to fix it. So I took it. It's a 1994 sony trinitron, model # kv-32s15. The problem is when I turn on the tv I have perfect sound and everything seems to work except the screen stays black, like the tv is off. Can someone tell me what the problem is and would it worth fixing or should I just get rid of it?

Larry Dillon
If you have a schematic

If you have a schematic diagram and a multimeter it certainly would not hurt looking into the set, but please if you have no electronic circuit troubleshooting experience, do not be experimenting around inside this beast.  These are not devices you can tinker with and maybe get lucky and see something wrong.  The set is already 13 years old so it would not be worth investing much in a set such as this.  If you do have the circuit repair experience, i certainly would assist you to find out what the problem is.  I will first need a copy of the schematic and we can go from there.  Good Luck, and let us know what you decide.

SRT
My 6-7 year old Sony TV is

My 6-7 year old Sony TV is having picture problems. When we turn it on it blinks from the picture to totally black every few seconds or so. It does this when we watch videos or DVD's also. The sound is fine. Is this a tuner problem? Is it worth fixing?

Larry Dillon
SRT, I doubt this is a tuner

SRT, I doubt this is a tuner problem my friend.  This sounds like a common problem with some Sony TV sets, but without a model number it is all a guess.

SRT
Sorry, I forgot to put it in

Sorry, I forgot to put it in my 1st post...  KV-35S66  Build date is Dec 1999. I read on other help sites that there is a screen trim pot. that a slight increase will cure the problem but significantly reduce the CRT life. Is this a viable solution?

Andrew T
I have a KP_ef41sn3 and the

I have a KP_ef41sn3 and the picture is fading, getting washed out colors and i have to put down brightness so i can see the picture. I had a green line showup on top of sreen at times. This is a 2001 tv. can you help, i was told it is the bulbs but they are no longer available here.

Regards

Andrew

mostfamous
my sony kps-51ws510  power

my sony kps-51ws510  power light comes on but has no sound or picture. when you turn it on you here two clicks and then the standby blinks 8 times.

Larry Dillon
Yes SRT this is a common

Yes SRT this is a common problem with these types of Sony TV sets.  The picture tube is starting to go bad and that will be an expensive repair.  By turning down the screen control you may get more life out of the picture tube.  Good Luck

Larry Dillon
Andrew T it sounds like you

Andrew T it sounds like you have a problem with the screen voltage circuit or like you said, the picture tubes are going bad.  I would not condem the tubes right away though without at least making sure the screen voltage was good, as I once had the exact problem with one of my customers.  She had called out a Tv guy to look at her nice 4 year old projection TV set. The guy just turned on the set and Said "yep the tubes are shot"and gave here a price of about a 1000 bucks to replace the tubes.  I took off the back and found the screen voltage was less the 1/2 of what it should have been.  I replace a diode and a capacitor and was out the door within an hour and she was tickled pink when I handed her a bill for 125 bucks.  So do yourself a favor, before you put that set out to the curb, you may want to invest in having somone check out your TV set.  Good Luck and let us know how this repair turns out for you.

SRT
Many thanks Moderator Dillon-

Many thanks Moderator Dillon---it's refreshing to find a site that is actually quick to respond & honest answers to boot. 

I'll post back with results, or maybe time for a flat panel.

Andrew T
Larry Dillon said: Andrew T

Larry Dillon said: Andrew T it sounds like you have a problem with the screen voltage circuit or like you said, the picture tubes are going bad.  I would not condem the tubes right away though without at least making sure the screen voltage was good, as I once had the exact problem with one of my customers.  She had called out a Tv guy to look at her nice 4 year old projection TV set. The guy just turned on the set and Said "yep the tubes are shot"and gave here a price of about a 1000 bucks to replace the tubes.  I took off the back and found the screen voltage was less the 1/2 of what it should have been.  I replace a diode and a capacitor and was out the door within an hour and she was tickled pink when I handed her a bill for 125 bucks.  So do yourself a favor, before you put that set out to the curb, you may want to invest in having somone check out your TV set.  Good Luck and let us know how this repair turns out for you.

Thank you for the advise as the tubes according to the supplier are no longer available, will try the remedy.Thank you

Andrew T

Pages

Connect With Techlore