S-Video vs. Composite

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jeff Block
S-Video vs. Composite

If I can use either, which one should it be?

Steven Jones (not verified)
If you have to choose between

If you have to choose between these two, it should be S-Video which provides a superior connection over simple composite. I would be real surprised if you weren't also able to step up to component connections tho. Surely the new TV has component input and most every DVD player provides that option.

The only downside to leaving composite behind is that you will need to solve the audio connection problem separately. S-Video and Component (as well as DVI) cables only carry video signal.

Jeff Block
Yeah, so I've been doing that

Yeah, so I've been doing that all day... I *meant* "component", rather than "composite". The way I understand it, the following progression holds...

Composite -- Okay.
S-Video -- Great.
Component -- Even better.
DVI -- Awesome, but hard to come by.
HDMI -- Best possible.

My new set has 2 s-video, 2 component, 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, and all the composite connections I could ever hope to never use. I should be set.

Jeff Block
Just found that Matt Whitlock

Just found that Matt Whitlock posted a great comparative breakdown of these technologies here. It's the 2nd post in the thread.

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
The visual difference between

The visual difference between component video and DVI is minimal, depending on the kind of cables you would use for your component connection. The real differences is that DVI is an uncompressed digital component signal combined with serious copy protection. Since component is analog in transmission, it does not contain a copy-guard (the main reason the industry is moving away from it).

HDMI is no different than DVI when it comes to video quality. The only difference is that the connector is smaller (better for consumer equipment), and it has the ability to carry digital audio on the same cable.

FireWire is truly the ultimate connection. The signal remains uncompressed on the cable itself, and the decoding happens at whatever the addressed device is. FireWire is a lot like networking, the data packets are sent to a specific address, just like how internet packets are sent to a computer. All devices not addressed as the destination ignore the packets. Since FireWire signals are decoded at the source, it provides the greatest image quality of them all, but your TV must be an integrated HDTV in order to use FireWire since the TV must be able to decode MPEG-2 on its own.

orionpk
hi guys

hi guys

i currently have my computer connected into a brand new lcd television, using an s-video cable..  it looks horrible , too sharp also color loss!, i hadly notice the fonts,  should i get an "s-video to composite "adapter/cable?"

Jeff Block
Can you connect via DVI? 

Can you connect via DVI?  Probably the clear best choice if possible?  I don't know much about adapter cables like you're suggesting, but I can't imagine that would improve the quality of the signal.

Have you read Matt's article about how to connect your computer to your TV?  You might find it pretty useful.

Connect With Techlore