Hero with the Best Gadgets

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steven Jones
Hero with the Best Gadgets

Is it 007 (J. Bond?) or Val Kilmer in The Saint? Batman? The guys from Mission Impossible?

What do you think?

Tie Guy
Bond is tough to beat when it

Bond is tough to beat when it comes to gadgets. C'mon, a car with rockets and laser beams, X-ray glasses, and watches with bulit in bombs. Bond probably has everyone beat when it comes to gadgets.

Ron Repking (not verified)
The cool thing about Bond was

The cool thing about Bond was that he always had three or four new gadgets in each movie and we actually got to see him use them all.

My vote for most classic gadget though is the phone in the shoe in old "Get Smart" episodes! Remember that one? Well ahead of its time.

Jeff Block
I don't know. Something

I don't know. Something about Bat Man seems to push him to the top of the list.

Ross Johnson
I prefer Batman just because

I prefer Batman just because he's more serious than Bond about using his gadgets - he's not screwing around while Q (or Alfred) is explaining how they work. Plus he has Wayne Enterprises there to create them for him.

Steven Jones (not verified)
I always thought it was a

I always thought it was a little forced that Bond just happened to need the exact set of gadgets given to him at the beginning of the mission. Leave any one of them out of the mix and he would have been a goner.

Let me throw a few more options in the mix: XXX characters (Diesel and now Ice Cube)? Men in Black? Inspector Gadget?

Tie Guy
Great call on Inspector

Great call on Inspector Gadget! Go-go gadget website!

R2B2
What about Speed Racer, KITT,

What about Speed Racer, KITT, and Air Wolf?

I will admin that I was a

I will admin that I was a huge fan of KITT - still a sweet ride if you ask me.

Tie Guy
Wait... the "Hero with the

Wait... the "Hero with the Best Gadget" can't be a gadget itself. KITT and Air Wolf are totally disqualified since they are not heros, but gadgets (my proposed rule, but Jones gets to make the call since it's his thread).

Now what about MacGyver? He had to build his own gadgets out of paperclips, rubberbands, and a bottle of mysterious clear liquid.

Or what about the Jackal. You can't tell me that gun he had wasn't totally sweet.

Bright Apollo
Hero, not villain.Batman

Hero, not villain.

Batman always had the best gadgets. Frank Miller proved it when Batman took down Superman... that's gadgetry.

-BrA

Tie Guy
It looks like Batman is still

It looks like Batman is still winning, does anyone have any other heroes they'd like to nominate?

I think that Douglas Quaid from Total Recall should be nominated. He had some pretty nifty toys in that movie (remember the cool talking-head-thing that he wore). That was also when Sharon Stone was SUPER fine.

stormcloud
I'll go with Batman. Although

I'll go with Batman. Although I'm very surprised that Bond didn't win most votes...
Can I say that I'm VERY HAPPY that there is no thread about iPod in tech wars?

camerashy
Can I say that I'm thrilled

Can I say that I'm thrilled that there are people out there that remember Airwolf besides me!
Anyway, I'm a big fan of 007, but as far as great gadgets are concerned I'll have to vote with Batman. I thought that Batman Begins was the best movie so far and Batman's vehicle just eclipses anything that Bond ever drove.

Just saw Batman Begins last

Just saw Batman Begins last night (finally). Definitely cool gadgetry, but still can't compare to 007s decades of gadgets.

Bright Apollo
If you want to compare five

If you want to compare five decades of Bond films, you have to include Batman comics, too, and then Batman wins. Even if you toss in the ghost-written Bond fiction, I think Batman still wins.

Heck, Batman kicked Superman's ass with gadgets. That has to count highly.

-BrAp

guys...guys...guys!Bond isn't

guys...guys...guys!

Bond isn't even a real guy! You can't compare a make-believe, fictional character to flesh and blood. If Batman heard you talking like that, he'd probably bat-slap you into next week.

So, its settled then.

Tie Guy
Right Jones...............

Right Jones................

Say, have you been doing a little

lately???

I have to go with Ron on this one, 007's gadgets are way cooler. Every BMW he gets could kick the crap out of the batmobile any day. C'mon - it's got LASERS for cripes sake!

Bright Apollo
oh man, you know batman would

oh man, you know batman would just nuke 007s pasty butt. lasers. how 70s.

-BrAp

R2B2
I would have to agree that

I would have to agree that Batman's gadgets do rule. The Batmobile in Batman begins wouldn't need any gadgets to take out the Beemer. It could just drive over it and take it out!
Richard

All this talk of Batman

All this talk of Batman Begins, did anyone else wonder why he needed to shift from a seating position to a horizontal one to do some of that combat driving?

That almost seems like showing off to me which may deduct a few cool-gadget points from the Dark Knight.

Bright Apollo
It ain't the Dark Knight

It ain't the Dark Knight until Rodriguez shoots one of Frank Miller's graphic novels. THAT would blow me away.

-BrAp

Its a sad day for gadget

Its a sad day for gadget folks. Don Adams has died which brings to an end two of our most beloved gadget heros. Adams of course played Maxwell Smart on the 60's sitcom Get Smart and was the voice of the animated Inspector Gadget.

Don Adams is gone, but his

Don Adams is gone, but his legend will live on. I still say that for its time, nothing will ever surpass the sheer ingenuity of the shoe phone!

Connect With Techlore