How many DVD players do you own?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matt Whitlock
How many DVD players do you own?

I was thinking that the DVD format really has only been around since 1997, but the penetration of the format is appalling. Just for fun, I decided to count how many devices I owned that are capable of playing a DVD-Video disc, and the results are staggering.

4 component style DVD players
1 DVD/VHS combo
2 Desktop PCs with DVD drives
1 laptop with DVD drive
2 game consoles

Current Total = 10

I could have counted my GameCube since it uses a DVD drive to read game discs, but I decided omit it since I can't actually play a DVD movie with it.

How many do you have?

Ross Johnson
The penetration is appalling?

The penetration is appalling? Being a home theater fan, surely you can't mean that, Matt! :)

For me, I have only 3 units that I use to watch DVDs on, two are computers: my HTPC, my main gaming/coding PC in my office, and my fiancee's standalone Pioneer unit in the bedroom. But I also have:

2 standalone Toshiba DVD players in a closet somewhere
1 Sony 5-disc DVD changer, also in the closet (does that count as 5?)
1 in an old cruddy laptop
2 more in two PCs that are headless
1 in the Xbox

So I guess that makes 10 for me too.

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
So it turns out that Ross is

So it turns out that Ross is not only an avid device junkie, but also the vocabulary police. What's the fine? I have an extra DVD player that I could give you! :-)

Ron Repking (not verified)
5 component styles DVD

5 component styles DVD players (but one is broken)
1 Desktop w/DVD which I don't ever use
3 Laptops w/DVD of which 2 I don't ever use

Interesting that I have almost as many that I don't user than the ones that I do use.

Eric Daugherty (not verified)
1 Component, 1 laptop. I've

1 Component, 1 laptop. I've sold all my old ones!

Steven Jones (not verified)
DVD-capable computers:

DVD-capable computers: 7
Standalone units: 3
Game consoles: 2
Car: 1

Total: 13

I win.

Jeff Block
Components: 2 (1 is a 5-disc

Components: 2 (1 is a 5-disc player)
Desktops with DVD-ROM: 2
Desktops with DVD Burner: 1
Laptops with DVD-ROM: 1

So, 6.

And, BTW, some of you people are totally out of control! 13, Jones? Wow.

jacefrey
I'm surprised we're not down

I'm surprised we're not down to counting the actual disk capabilities of each yet, although Jeff kind of started to. I own three component players, one is 5-disc, one is 6-disc, and the old one is 1-disc. Plus, a couple of the computers have DVD read-only drives in addition to the DVD-RWs.

Ron Repking (not verified)
I never understood the

I never understood the reasoning for buying a DVD changer. Do you really need to leave 5 or 6 DVDs in the player so you can play them at any time? I just don't see the advantage. Can someone help me out here?

jacefrey
Gangs of New York comes on

Gangs of New York comes on two discs, so that's handy with a multi-disc changer. You can dork out and put in all of the Star Wars discs or all of the Lord of the Rings discs and watch them back to back.

But mostly the multi-disc DVD players replaced the multi-disc CD changers. Both of mine read mp3-CD's (just a bunch of mp3's stored in data format on a disc), so you can have an entire music collection available on your component system.

I've never really seen the

I've never really seen the point of 5-disc DVD changers. While it could be convenient to load in all the Star Wars movies and watch them back to back, you'll most likely need a bathroom break between flicks... meaning you have to get up anyway, so changing the disc shouldn't be that inconvenient. I do see some benefit out of the big megachangers though, having 300-400 DVDs negates the need to find a disc in your collection.

Rotab
1-TV/DVD combo1-imac DVD

1-TV/DVD combo
1-imac DVD superdrive
1- Sony DVD/VCR combo
1- Van with built-in DVD
1- PS2
1- Sony DVD/CD/MP3 junker that only works when dropped!

I thought I was nuts!... that Matt guy must make a ton of money and have a boat-load of free time to use all the that stuff!!!

All I reallly need is The Kaleidescape DVD Management System!

Don't look at me Rotab...

Don't look at me Rotab... Jones is the one with 13! Besides, one of the DVD players I counted is undoubtedly the worlds cheapest and crappiest DVD player known to man...the Lenoxx Sound DVD-2003. Although I didn't buy it, it sits but a mere 10 feet from my desk. The story how it was obtained is funny, so the true owner of the player is going to write an article about it.

Donna
I'm the true owner of the DVD

I'm the true owner of the DVD player Matt is talking about. The DVD player was cheap, but not that crappy. You can check out my article called "Free DVD Player With Purchase", and decide for yourself.

Jeff Block
I missed chiming in on the

I missed chiming in on the multi-disc DVD player question...

1) It was a $100 sony changer, so why not?
2) Allows me to drop in the whole series of a favorite TV show (or dual-disc movies) and go.
3) Have you ever put in 5 of your favorite classic movies (like Galaxy Quest or Office Space - movies I've watched hundreds of times) and hit shuffle? If not, then you just can't know...

Chris Miller
I love my 5-disc DVD changer.

I love my 5-disc DVD changer. I keep a disc or two of my favorite TV series loaded (usually something with "trek" in the title), my wife keeps a disc of her favorite series (definitely ER), and then we have a couple free slots to throw in a 2-disc movie like one of the extended edition LOTR movies. And if you have to take a bathroom break between LOTR disc's, then you're not a big enough fan. :)

And I absolutely endorse Jeff's classic comedy roulete technique. Jumping from "Did you eat paint chips as a child?" to "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" to "Ray's gone bye-bye Egon" can't be beat.

And for the record, I only weigh in at 6 DVD players: 5-disc changer, DVD/VCR combo, PS2, XBox, Laptop, Desktop. I bow to your superior gadgetry, Mr. Jones...

Jeff Block
I will now be watching ALL

I will now be watching ALL THREE of those movies TONIGHT. Ah, memory lane.......

SC&RS
HEHE...pretty funny once you

HEHE...pretty funny once you think about how many devices can play DVD's 2 Desktops, 1 Laptop, 4 DVD players, 2 ps2's, X-box, 2 Tv's with built in...pretty much it. Great stuff though

Connect With Techlore