Technologies for 'dummies'

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
rosewire
Technologies for 'dummies'

How about threads akin to techs for 'dummies'?

For example, I feel relatively clueless about what type of TV I should upgrade to. (My current TV is a 25" square box.) How do I even begin to evaluate the myriad of options in the market?

Setting up a wireless network? No clue how to go about it. I'd just be happy to shift away from the SBC/ATT phone service combo of $50/mth.

The next step after that would be to upgrade to a true media center. Again, clueless but ready and enthusiastic about learning how to go about it.

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
Any community member can

Any community member can create a thread. Find a forum where it's applicable, and start your very own 'dummies' thread. I think it's a great idea.

About the TV question, you're in luck. I've written a comprehensive guide that will help you figure out all of the different TV options. It's in the final editing stages at the moment, and should be available on the site soon. Keep checking back for more.

There is currently a guide for setting up a wireless network, but it deals with setting up the hardware. You can read it by clicking here. As far as service goes, you'll probably end up going with cable or DSL. Cable has a bit better download speeds, but DSL is close and usually costs less. If you want to get rid of phone service alltogether, go with cable.

Your true media center question is a bit vague. Are you referring to Media Center PCs?

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
Rosewire, the television

Rosewire, the television guide is up. Here's a link to it: http://www.techlore.com/article/10497/

Connect With Techlore