Disappointed with my Digital Camera

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jeff Block
Disappointed with my Digital Camera

So, I've decided that I don't like my Nikon Coolpix 4500. My big beefs are that it only takes good pictures (great actually, in ideal lighting) when using the autofocus, and there's a significant delay between pressing the button and getting the picture. Very annoying. Dig the 4x optical zoon and 4Mpix is enough for me, but I can't handle this other stuff.

Where should I turn for a replacement? Keep in mind that I don't need a 25mpix monstor, just a good reliable camera that takes good pics in varied lighting and responds quickly. A point-and-shoot wonder.

Any advice?

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
I've been using a Canon

I've been using a Canon digital camera for a while now, and have few complaints. It's solid, takes good pictures, and is relatively speedy. I like the rechargeable battery it comes with since it lets me shoot lots of pictures on a single charge. I'd say they're worth a look, but there are lots of good cameras out there.

Anyone else have a camera they'd recommend?

Eric Daugherty (not verified)
I have the Canon PowerShot

I have the Canon PowerShot S500 and really like it.

I only have one minor complaint, and that is that there is no battery indicator, just a 'low battery' warning.

Other than that, it is great.

RickR
Jeff, Don't know if you've

Jeff,
Don't know if you've acted on this post of yours now over 10 months old. But a note for your consideration...

Speediness of shutter release is a relative thing. To most people it is relative to either or both of two things: 1)experience with a film camera with a mechanical (even if electronically triggered) shutter; and 2) relative to expectations for capturing action shots. (Arguably #2 is influenced by #1, but I separate them to note different uses.)

Most digital cameras are inherently slower than almost any film camera; certainly slower than a good SRL designed for action shots. So if your expectations of digital camera are set by SLR use, then you'll not likely find a mid-range digital that you are happy with. Many digitals have improved significantly along this dimension over the past few years, but I've not read of one that meets the SLR bar.

While I agree that this attribute is annoying (I can't tell you how many shots of my granddaughter I missed because her cute behavior was coupled with being a fast-moving toddler), still, I have found that I have adapted. I've learned to anticipate where she'll be a fraction of a second later and aimed there. Sort of like leading your target.

On the lighting conditions front, I did a lot of research before buying an Olympus s3040Z about 4 1/2 years ago and am still delighted with its ability to handle any lighting condition. I chose it in anticipation of my granddaughter's birth and had a "low light" criteria, not wanting to shoot off blinding flashes in her face all the time and thereby being warned off my my son as a new father. With an f1.8 lens, I can shoot indoors at night without flash as long is there isn't too much motion. The white balance adjusts nicely for tungsten and the photos feel warm and homey without that stark flash shadow and lighting fading quickly on the folks in the background across the room.
To get the shutter, aperature and focus set, however, the camera needs some time to grab all of these and make the adjustments. There is a delay, but as I said, I've learned to adapt to it, thinking of it as an attribute of a new technology.
Flash photos indoors are not bad, as good as you would expect from any flash camera. My comments above are to emphasize the newer possibilities of flashless indoor photography.
Outdoors the photos are fantastic, again easily adjusting for either overall or centered exposure settings.

So bottom line, finding a camera that can handle any lighting conditions should be possible and I recommend Olympus' newer cameras in the Camedia line of which mine was an introductory model. Look for that wide aperature lens.
But finding a camera that matches SLR or even any average film camera shutter response speed is still a ways off, I think. (Not having checked the market in the last year in any detail, I may be wrong... the vendors have been working hard on this requirement and it is certainly a competitive edge to achieve it. So my comments may be a bit dated. A bit of research will tell you. Consumer Reports gave me good unbiased advice when I was buying.
Rick

Connect With Techlore