The Coolest Gadget I Own

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jeff Block
The Coolest Gadget I Own

Okay, I'm not going to embarrass myself by attempting this one. I pale in comparison to even my immediate circle of friends, 'cause I'm just not the early adopter that they all are. But I'm curious how others would answer this question...

What's the coolest gadget you own, and why?

Rotab
My ipod.. not even close

My ipod.. not even close unless I throw in my imac's Garage Band software!

I can plug my Les Paul in and throw down a riff and a drum track in a flash, then stick-it on my ipod or email the MP3 file to my singer or drummer...

Lenster
I wouldn't have been able to

I wouldn't have been able to answer this one until I had a TiVo crash and shipped the unit back. I now know what heroin withdrawl is like.

Rotab
Ok I forgot about my DVR it's

Ok I forgot about my DVR it's very cool but I could almost live without it compared to my ipod... but then again it's like magic at the touch of a finger!

Eric Daugherty (not verified)
High Def TiVo. Record 2 HD

High Def TiVo. Record 2 HD shows at once. Couldn't watch TV without it (of course, maybe that would be a good thing)!

Ross Johnson
I'm going to go with my

I'm going to go with my Firefly remote for my HTPC. It's pretty similar to a typical Windows Media Center remote, but it works without Media Center. It's fully configurable via XML files to control any application you want.

Paul Thomas
My JBL SYNTHESIS SDP-40 Pre

My JBL SYNTHESIS SDP-40 Pre-Amp is by far the baddest toy I own. 7.1, Dual L/R LFE outs.

Eric Daugherty (not verified)
Ross, you arn't going with

Ross, you arn't going with the RossStation?

Ron Repking (not verified)
For "coolest", I have to go

For "coolest", I have to go with my Gyration Mouse for my Media Center PC. There's something to be said about being able to use a mouse in the air while sitting on your couch.

Guest (not verified)
My mp3 players. My first was

My mp3 players. My first was a Creative Nomad II (32Mb and FM tuner - which worked great in London) and the latest one is an iPod mini.

Jeff Block
Ron and Ross... I'm looking

Ron and Ross... I'm looking into a replacement for the generic MCE remote that comes with the box. Thanks for a couple good possibilities.

Steven Jones (not verified)
Hey, Mr. Gyration. Have you

Hey, Mr. Gyration. Have you ever had a problem with the mouse conking out? I charged it for several weeks but it stops working almost instantly after I take it out of the cradle.

I understand how a wireless device might run into interference but we are talking more than just a tempermental pointing device here. This is completely lights-out.

Any ideas? If I can't fix it I will have to put it on my list of worst gadgets.

Ross Johnson
Eric - the Rosstation is

Eric - the Rosstation is unfair - people can't just go to the store and snag something as cool as the Rosstation off the shelf. I have to level the playing field, here. :)

Ron Repking (not verified)
Jones, I answered your

Jones, I answered your question on the Gyration Keyboard/Mouse article as I thought the best place to put that comment.

Ross, OK I'll bite. What is the Rosstation (or shouldn't I ask in a public forum)?

Ross Johnson
The Rosstation is simply my

The Rosstation is simply my Home Theater PC. I built it in January 2001, when very few people had yet to consider the idea. I've upgraded it over the years and I don't think it contains a single original part that the first version had.

In any case, HTPCs aren't really even gadgets, are they? It certainly shouldn't count, anyway, if you assembled it yourself. That's why I listed the remote control I use as the coolest gadget.

Michael Czyz
I seem to be on a gadget

I seem to be on a gadget binge the last few years, so I have quite a few bits here and there.

The HD Tivo is very, very nice when coupled with a nice TV. I won't add much more there.

I just got an Ambient Dashboard
which tops out on the potentially cool list - but the current list of channels is limited. I can't wait until they get the full service released. This thing will just drip analog coolness.

Then there is the Sonos

This thing is very nice. I was leaning towards centralized audio (used to have an Elan at my old house)until I got the Sonos. It isn't perfect, but the quality of the sound is very good. (synchronized audio across zones is the one reason I avoided whole house digital and finally scrapped my older boxes - want to by a good condition Audiotron?) I can't say enough about the remote, and the embedded ethernet switch is a nice addition - now my tivos and xbox all get network access via the Sonos wireless net.

Finally, I just picked up a Denison Ice-Link
as a replacement for my old ipod->car connection. this seems significantly better than Apple/BMW's, or Monster's box, at about half the price. Will post some updates once I get it installed.

Robert
OK, I have a very cool

OK, I have a very cool inexpensive toy that every infrared remote owner should look at. It is called the Next Generation Products Inc. remote control extender. Now hold on, I know IR-to-RF converts are a dime a dozen, but these guys have a totally new idea.

The receiver that sits in my media closet looks like a little jetson's car flying saucer with an antenna on it. The receiver has an IR extender for the output in the closet so you can position the receiver anywhere and plug in the emitter.

Now, the cool part!

The TRANSMITTER is the size of a AAA battery, and fist INSIDE your remote control. It has NOTHING external on the remote, and the transmitter is actually two parts. The transmitter, and, the 2/3rds AAA battery. The base unit charges the spare 2/3rds AAA and the transmitter fits on top of the battery and transmits from INSIDE the remote, relaying all buttons pressed to the base.

I was totally blindsided, and went to the creator, and asked him how it works. He laughed and told me that if you take any remote control and hold it next to an AM radio (remember them?) and off tune to static, when you press the buttons, you will here short bursts of 'noise' from the internal rf emitter on the remote control. OK, I said, so, how does it work?? Well the device in the battery compartment is actually a transceiver! It receives those little noises from the ir remote and retransmits them over RF technology.

It also includes a size changer sleeve to use with AA battery units.

A very cool device indeed!

Downside: If you use more than one remote control, you will need to buy an additional battery/combo from the company to work with your little space ship receiver, but they are cheap!

Full unit was $59 and, the new additional battery/combos are $19 each.

Check out www.nghp.net

GlenJohnson
Been into gadgets for years.

Been into gadgets for years. Currently, I've got a wireless network set up at home. My cable router comes in the back of the house, which is connected to my wireless router. Desktop is on the other side of the house, where I download my music. I can then take my laptop, sit in my backyard and listen to the music while I surf the web while I enjoy the pond. If it's time to mow the lawn, I just throw on the old Lyra from RCA, and listen to the music with that. If I'm at work, I turn on my Zire 72 Palm Pilot and listen to the tunes on it. If I'm bored with music, the Zire also does photos, video and anything else a palm does. Thinking about getting a network card for the Zire and see how it does surfing the web.

Bright Apollo
Well, it's a little

Well, it's a little pedestrian. but the Nokia 3650 I own has Bluetooth, takes pretty good pictures, plays MP3s, syncs with Outlook, and has damn good reception indoors. The Internet browsing is pretty decent as well. Best phone I've ever owned, though it ain't sayin' much.

-BrA

criduchatdad
I would have to say my hacked

I would have to say my hacked Ipod. Can now play any format mp3, wma, etc.. and other things Cant mention here.

Eric Brandt
Ok -- if this doesn't make my

Ok -- if this doesn't make my gadget rate high, then nothing will:

I use an Olympus Digital Voice Recorder (WS-310M) to do journalistic interivews. It is tiny, the size of a large cigarette lighter, it sticks right into my USB port so I can transcribe or edit the recordings. And it hold 17 hours of voice recording!

Anyway.... I made three mistakes:

Mistake #1: I used the Olympus as MP3 player when I went to the gym.

Mistake #2:  I just had it stuck in the pocket of my gym shorts and forgot about it.

Mistake #3: I sent those shorts through the washer and the dryer.

What a bummer! I pulled that little puppy our of the dryer, and planned a quick burial.

But on a whim, I let it dry out thoroughly for five or six days and popped a new battery in.

THE THING RUNS PERFECTLY. NOT A HITCH!

Name me ANY other electronic device that has survived gym sweat, hot laundry scrubbing and dryer heat! 

Matt Whitlock
Eric Brandt said:  Name me

Eric Brandt said:  Name me ANY other electronic device that has survived gym sweat, hot laundry scrubbing and dryer heat!

Great story Eric! Suffice to say, you don't find devices that can take that kind of punishement and still work. However, I'll give props to my (now museumed) Qualcomm QCP-1960 for the long extinct PrimeCo network. It endured a toilet experience (a thorough rinse and 7 day drying period later) and a long fall from about 20 feet to a hard surface... it still managed to turn on a make calls. Of course, it doesn't compare to the beating your dryer gave your voice recorder. Even I'm surprised it still works. :-)

Jeff Block
Agreed.  Great story.  I too

Agreed.  Great story.  I too own an Olympus voice recorder, and LOVE it!  Haven't sent it through the washer dryer yet though.  :-)

Eric Brandt
Matt Whitlock said: Eric

Matt Whitlock said:

Eric Brandt said: Name me ANY other electronic device that has survived gym sweat, hot laundry scrubbing and dryer heat!

Even I'm surprised it still works. :-)

I almost threw it out, without testing it. And if I hadn't seen it work personally, I wouldn't believe it. Period.

I'm very curious about how it is technically possible: are the inner workings and chips in some kind of sealed compartment? I.e. did they stay dry and survive? Or did they get wet and survive anyway?

This obviously aren't "printed circuits" which warp and shortcircuit with any HINT of water!

Connect With Techlore